Wednesday 27 May 2009

Culture: Akan Cultural Symbols by Dr. George F. Kojo Arthur

Ohene ko hia -The king is gone to the harem.

M'akoma mu tofe -My sweetheart

My Hands are Blessed

High Society

Huhuuhu nye me hu - Rumors do not scare me

Nea kyiniie si ne so ne ohene -He who has umbrella over his head is the king.

Obakofo mmu oman -One person does not rule a nation.

Sika tu se anommaa -Money flies like a bird

Suukuu nko na nyansa nko -Attending school does not mean that one would be wise.

Dea emmaa da eno ne dea yennhunu na yennte bi da -What is novel is what we have not seen and heard before.

Can you tell what the pink cloth [above] is called -from its symbols? Nor can I. Read, Dr.George F. Kojo Arthur's extensive work about our, Adinkra, Kente, Kente Motifs, Wax & Non Wax Prints, Asafo Flags and Akunintam cloths -and their symbolic meanings -as part of his 'Akan Cultural Symbols Project' -and order his exciting book on the above subject called, 'Cloth As Metaphor' -( cataloguing over 700 Adinkra symbols, their variations and discuses the various themes encoded in the texts of proverbs, aphorisms and other verbal expressions related to these symbols) -from: www.marshall.edu/akanart/

2 comments:

  1. Hello! I would love to buy book by G.F. Kojo Arthur "Cloth As Metapho" which you are writing about. I am not succesful with google, also here in czech republic there are no signs of being here...Thank you for your blog and have a nice day! jardanoga@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete


















  2. hello sir,this is c.k.(mr.Yankson's inlaw) i have been trying to reach you on your phone in the states but all my attempt were proven futile.my email address is ckboateng1@yahoo.com or you can call on 0244618974.my friend from bermuda wants to know when you sent the cloth and the tracking number as well








    ReplyDelete