Tuesday 7 September 2010

Hugh Quarshie on Who Do You Think You Are?

Honestly, the devil is a liar. Since I started this blog just over a year ago, my computer has been under constant attack –and whilst in the past; my computer fix-it man has been able to fix every problem –my Toshiba laptop is now completely died, can you believe it? And thus I find myself unable to put everything I want to write about on my blog… Anyway, did you watch last night’s episode of Who Do You Think You Are? on BBC One? It featured the ever fabulous Hugh Quarshie –and had me captivated. Relaying mainly on oral history in Ghana, Hugh’s ancestors were brought back to life –in what I can only describe as the very best episode of this fabulous series. Hugh got to meet his ‘new’ family members in the village of Abe –and we all found out that researching ancestor from African and European heritage is possible; makes interesting viewing and is the best way to learn about our history…

The journey ends happily in Holland where Hugh meets his European family –and comes across written documents and some incredible photographs that I hope will end up in his ancestral village of Abe –or some museum in Ghana one day and discovers that his great, great, great-grandfather –not only loved his African family but left them all his worldly goods in his last will and testament. Hugh’s personal journey back in time –was touching, well researched and heartwarming –and I guess reflecting many Fantes and some Ga’s ancestral history. My mother’s maiden name is Spio and I have often wondered about her family and the role the Portuguese played in her ancestry!

For more about Hugh Quarshie’s incredible journey please visit: http://www.bbcwhodoyouthinkyouaremagazine.com/episode/hugh-quarshie

To see some footage of Hugh Quarshie on Who Do You Think You Are? Visit: http://www.bbcwhodoyouthinkyouaremagazine.com/footage/8178

2 comments:

  1. great story of a Ghanaian gentleman. really heart felt, full of emotions trip for Hugh Quarshie. nevertheless, all well contained emotionally by a perfectly British sense of humor which does not take away his Ghanaian heart. (untarnished love for his country and people). Hugh Quarshie :a true Ghanaian gentleman!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i just love this man. He is a phenomenon actor.

    ReplyDelete